Monday, October 3, 2011

A couple days ago, I went to my interview for The Davis Bridge Educational Foundation, which is a nonprofit organization that's dedicated to improving the academic achievement of low-income Davis at-risk students in grades K-12. 

During the interview, the coordinator stressed that this was a job that required a lot of heart and dedication--she said that these were children who needed someone that they could depend on, having experienced too much disappointment in their lives.  Because many of the students grow extremely attached to their mentors--some even experience meltdowns on the days that they fail to show up--it's vital that you can adhere to your work schedule.  Furthermore, in addition to providing tutoring services, you are also to serve as a role model for your assigned student(s) in order to provide inspiration for transcendent achievement.

I've been hired--they've placed me in an elementary school that's about 8 minutes away from campus by bus.  It's going to be a challenge--these kids have had hard lives and they'll be tough to get through--but I think I'll be ok (though, I am slightly terrified right now with the prospect, having little experience with tiny children). 

Although my parents aren't as enthusiastic as I am about working for Davis Bridge and they're advising me against this position (they want me to work a practical office job), they're respecting my decision to do so.  

Making a difference?  Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment