Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I veered away from my family today during our stroll through Wu Fen Pu (Taipei's largest wholesale street market) and popped into a little shop on my own to look at the clothes. The clothes were separated into 2 sale sections: 2 pieces for 100nt/2 pieces for 300nt.*

I picked 2 for 300nt and 1 for 50nt--not wanting to wait for my mother to come haggle with the owner (I mean, it already feels like stealing at these kind of prices), I approached him, fully prepared to pay the listed sum just as any simple tourist would.

C: Lao ban, duo xiao chian?
X: Mmm, er bai wu.
C: Eh?! Bu hui ba! Zhen de?
X: Shi ah.
C: Xie xie ni!

And! He only charged me 250nt (that's about 8usd) for everything--one of the items was a blazer-like trench coat too, and those usually go for 500-800nt. Maybe he found my Mandarin endearing :) Apparently it's quite childish, according to a native.

Bu cuo, bu cuo.


*30nt = 1usd

No comments:

Post a Comment