Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bitch Bitch Bitch

I checked my Smartsite blog I'm required to maintain for my Education course today, and one of my group members left me a comment on one of my posts that just Set.  Me.  Off.  I was already aggravated earlier this afternoon after having taken my HDE midterm, which was one those tests where the teacher sets you up to fail.  There were 80 questions and more than half of them were in this format:

Karen is more likely to disclose deep intimate information to her best friend or her romantic partner than to her parents. Karen is probably:
    A. middle childhood/preadolescence   
    B. early adolescence   
    C. mid-adolescence   
    D. late adolescence/emerging adulthood   

Jimmy was walking home with his friends and they decided to steal candy from the local liquor store. Jimmy did not go along with what they were doing but felt the need to fit in. Which grade is Jimmy most likely in?
    A. 6th   
    B. 9th   
    C. 10th   
    D. 12th 

What Bullshit is This.

Then, for my English course, my professor made us read and analyze a short story in the form of a run-on sentence that lasted for two pages--without any punctuations whatsoever.  Fuck you, Robert Coover.  Only E. E. Cummings gets to pull that shit.  

But I digress.  Anyway, so in that blog post, I wrote about how I felt slight irritation (but I didn't express it) at a student who was giving me problems--I also stated that it took a lot from children to aggravate me, and that it was the first time since I've started working with kids that I had felt that way.  However, I handled the situation well and she began to behave from that day on.  I left my readers with "So!  If you experience a child testing your limits, keep calm.  It's a lot harder than it sounds, but patience is truly the key."

And this bitch said:

"I honestly think you really have to prepare yourself mentally before you enter a classroom like this. If you are willing to be in that environment than that means you are willing to tolerate and be patient with such behavior. Always stay calm and patient and understand what else could be bothering the student besides the assignment. The way you described your emotions worried me a bit to be honest. But I am not trying to critique but giving some feedback."

Boy, did you even read what I wrote?  I am the epitome of empathy and understanding.  I work with a child with learning disabilities and with at-risk, low income youth prone to behavior problems, so I know what patience and tolerance is, Mr. "I-work-with-AP-English-students."  From my post, obviously I stayed calm and patient throughout the whole ordeal, otherwise she wouldn't have started doing her work. 

"I honestly think you really have to prepare yourself mentally before you enter a classroom like this."

What the fuck?  You think I came through the door riding a rainbow and expected it to be easy working with third graders?  It's universally established that you will encounter problems when working with children.

"The way your described your emotions worried me a bit to be honest."

You can mentally prepare yourself for possible situations that may arise, but you can't prepare how you feel.  What you can control is what you do about it.  I felt irritated, but I was calm and collected while working with the child, which was what attributed to my success, so I don't know what you're "worried" about. 

Lastly, critique and feedback are essentially the same thing, idiot.

I hope your kidney stones multiply and grow to the size of golf balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment